1) Locate Windows Defender antivirus software in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. For Windows 8.1 computers click the Start button > Search for "Windows Defender". The icon is a picture of a brick wall:
In Windows 10 simply right click the icon from the status panel and click "open":
2) In Windows 8.1, disable Real-time protection from Settings > Real-time protection. Un-check the box and hit Save Changes:
In Windows 10 the screen will look like the screenshot below:
3) Now launch your web browser and navigate to the web console. Click on Settings > Downloads & Licensing and proceed to download and install the software. When prompted to reboot the computer un-check the box to select "no" so the computer does not reboot.
4) Click on the "Help" tab on the bottom left of the window and then "Anti-virus Exclusions":
5) On the Anti-virus Exclusions page locate the path to exclude for your antivirus software:
6) Locate the folder path for exclusion depending on if this is a 32 or 64 Bit operating system (find this out here).
7) Return to Windows Defender and set the exclusion path found in step #5. Click Browse and locate the folder from above for Windows 8.1. Click "Add" and then "Save Changes":
In Windows 10 the Exclusion window will look like the screenshot below:
8) Once completed, then reboot the computer.